I started this blog when I was restoring a 1917 Kennebec canoe. Now I have added to my boat building adventures, and built a kayak. I also have pages about birds and astronomy.

Friday, May 18, 2018

Gunwales

The start of something that looks like a boat happened today.  The gunwales were cut, smoothed out and routed to accept the ribs later. The gunwales are cut to the overall length of the kayak minus 26 inches to account for the bow and stern assemblies. In my case, the overall length is 15' 8", so the gunwales are 13' 6". Mortises are cut to accept the ribs every 4 inches.

Once the gunwales were prepared, they were assembled to the bow and stern to form the frame of the kayak. A temporary spacer was used to set the width, and then the first deck frame was cut and installed.
Stern assembly pegged and lashed in place.

Bow assembly pegged in place.

Frame with first deck frame installed.

1 comment: