I started this blog when I was restoring a 1917 Kennebec canoe. Now I have added to my boat building adventures, and built a kayak. I also have pages about birds and astronomy.

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Bow and stern assemblies

Day 2 was spent build the bow and stern assemblies and finishing up the sanding of the deck frames. No glue, screws, or nails are used in the entire kayak, just a few pegs and then things are lashed together. The stern joint was chiseled out to fit together.


Then holes were drilled for the lashings and it was lashed together. The lashing is arranged in a wye configuration, and then tightened by wrapping the legs of the V together. 

The bow has many more parts, with pegs between the upper, middle and lower parts to hold the alignment.

The frames are sanded smooth and formed with a flat spot on top to mate with the deck beam at the very end of the frame building process.




No comments:

Post a Comment