I started this blog when I was restoring a 1917 Kennebec canoe. Now I have added to my boat building adventures, and built a kayak. I also have pages about birds and astronomy.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Filling the canvas

I filled the canvas today. The filler is a mixture of silica powder, linseed oil and other ingredients that makes the canvas water tight. The first coat took about an hour and a half, working the mixture into the weave with a stubby paintbrush. The second and third coats go a lot faster. Between coats, the finish is rubbed smooth with a mitt made of scrap canvas. All told, it was about 4 hours of scrubbing the filler into the weave and rubbing it smooth. My arms are going to be sore tomorrow. I feel like I just swam about 2 miles.  This stuff takes about a month to cure, so I'll be caning the seats and varnishing in the meantime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment