I started this blog when I was restoring a 1917 Kennebec canoe. Now I have added to my boat building adventures, and built a kayak. I also have pages about birds and astronomy.

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Quartered log

The second split went a lot faster. I can actually move the piece now.  I managed to drag it and cart it with the wagon to the garage.  To split it into useful pieces, I need to clean up the faces and split off a piece small enough to run through the saw and planer. 


So I started shopping for a froe and realized in the box of old tools from my grandparents farm, there was a froe blade.



I bought a new handle for it, sharpened it up a bit and it's ready for splitting, as soon as I make a suitable mallet.

2 comments:

  1. Kurt, this is SO blinkin' cool! Gives me goosebumps to think or you using a tool from the farm to work on this. Gosh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, good to see I can comment again. Last time I tried, all I could get was an error and investigating showed that lots of others were having trouble commenting from Wordpress and other places, too. (Also, you need to post a link on FB to this.)

    ReplyDelete